Thursday 28 June 2012

The Murder

During a fight violent screams, swears and curses pitch the air. People use guns and sticks.

I had none. In the air silence screamed. My friend shivered. A frown had hooked up on her face as fright took over. Yes, the idea of two helpless girls locked up in a room with a merciless shadow gives goosebumps. All I had to offend the enemy was a broom, the only thing I could find in the haste. No matter how puny a broom may sound like, it was a mark of strength for me at the time, when nothing else was available.

Again...two young girls locked up in a room with a scary stranger...slithering its way from one bed to another...the creeps that frozen smile would give...two young girls on the verge of wounding themselves badly....with swollen throats and tightened facial muscles...eyes bulging out, bruises on their backs...a lifeless color haunting their bodies...it could be, in short, a MURDER.

The guard outside had retreated from the fight with the stranger. Now it was just the two of us...and of course the horrendous shadow.

We circled around like in a boxing ring. Our scared wimps and moans were the cheering crowd, and the stranger's sudden leaps were the ringing bells. "time out!" they would say...and then each brave move I'd make with my broom to defend myself would be a break to the "three, two, one..."

I attempted several unsuccessful shots at the advancing shadow...but what good could a broom do? The stranger smirked at my helpless hit and trial. I was suddenly breathless. It was suffocating in the locked room. I looked around at the four walls that grew closer and closer to us. Would we ever be saved? It was either the stranger or the phobia that would kill us both. Teyni pulled at the sleeve of my shirt. I tried to give her some of my fake courage by nodding and shaking myself back up, clearing my throat. A crooked smile was enough to unveil my secret.

The circling continued, added to it was the hiding, ducking, jumping and rarely bending back parallel to the ground dramatically in slow motion. :D

The stranger became impatient with two utterly hyperactive and disrespectful hostages. It had never seen frightened people in so much action before. Therefore, not foreseeing the circumstances, the stranger dived towards me.
A shriek escaped my dry mouth as I blindly shot a sixer at the offender. Teyni leaped up, her hand smacking in my face and making me shriek louder, and this once, multiple times in a row. This made her to scream in return. The pin-drop silence turned into a clatter. Teyni threw her precious scarf in the direction of the "six" I had made...just as an innocent attempt to save me if the shadow survived.

Suddenly dead silence took over. Teyni was shaking. I was frozen to death...the offender had vanished. At last the heat of the very recent incidents melted me, and I plucked courage to peek beneath the scarf...something wriggled underneath. Teyni and I screamed together. :D

*girls*

The lizard had let go of its tail in surrender. I sighed as relief crossed my mind at last. We unlatched the door and threw the corpse out with our dissection gloves on. :P

To celebrate our first official murder in hostel, we ordered burgers and had a little dance party in the room. As we munched on the crispy meal, I grinned. When Teyni asked me about it, I exclaimed, "I must admit we looked like the Flinstones back then!"

No comments:

Post a Comment