Tuesday 5 June 2012

The Laptop Buzz: Part I

Our favorite time-pass in college was taking trips to the I.T. department, asking the coordinators twenty times a day about the hoped-for free laptops. With shine in our eyes we would head to their office, but the Grim would follow us everywhere, sucking all the joy and hope out like dementers. At last we came to believe that we would never be lucky enough to run our fingers on a free personal computer, or punch in digital notes with the triumph of a winner. =(  Not everybody was being rewarded with a laptop, only students with high educational achievements were honored so. As we would walk out of the coordinators' office, the Grim would laugh at us mockingly.

At last the blue moon shone, emerging from within a mob of retreating shadows. The date for the distribution of laptops in our city came nearer and nearer, and the adrenaline level rose and rose, until the excitement erupted in finding "someone who wants a red laptop in exchange of a black one?". :D

...but what happened in "The Moment Between Cause and Effect"? Look thus...

The day was hot. :/ It was three in the evening. I was sitting under the blessed fan in the college cafeteria, munching on crushed ice that I got for free in a disposable glass. I was waiting for the first bus to start so I could push my way through the imaginary crowd in my mind and glide in like Superman. :D

Temperatures rising, I saw students crowding on the road like colorful tides, like a mixture of shades on a palette or hues splashing in the air to celebrate Holi. The heat was frustrating, but the hope of a fruitful tomorrow kept everyone in high spirits.

The buses swallowed these tides in a matter of minutes, and headed in style to a temporary stop: Divisional Public School...but I was still stuck in college. The "superman" in me wasn't feeling so fly after all. I decided to wait for the last bus, in hope that I wouldn't have to be transported all the way with the side of my face pressed against the glass window. :D
Result: I still had to be transported all the way with the side of my face pressed against the glass window. =/
As soon as i hopped in (one of the last ones to get into the bus), a senior squeezed her way through and settled right beside me; I was already in a tight spot, right in front of the door. Her fitting in practically pushed me to a side with a bump, and a speed breaker proved to be further helpful by slapping the side of my face against the glass window. :D It was a horrible nightmare come true.

We breathed again only when we walked into the school, headed to the cafeteria and bought chilled fizzy drinks. Wiping the sweat off my temple, I walked around exploring the building, found the auditorium, and soon was disappointed to know half of our college had already discovered it. Suffocation forced me out again, and I stalked the shadows of tall trees around, seeking haven under their thick canopies till the big college crowd would move again. At last a lot of chaos among the teachers ended and we walked the rest of the way to Iqbal Stadium...the Final Destination. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment